Braces actively move the teeth to a new position. The purpose of the retainers is to stabilize and hold the teeth in that new position. The retainer phase of the treatment is just as important as the treatment with braces.
How long must I wear my retainers?
As long as you want your teeth to stay straight. This may seem strange but teeth will age just like the other parts of your body; your skin will get wrinkly, your teeth will become crooked as they age. The advantage of retailers is that they can prevent this natural aging process. All you have to do is wear your retainers!
You must wear your retainers FULL TIME, DAY and NIGHT for two weeks! That means 24/7. You only take them out to eat and to brush your teeth! After this period, your orthodontist may ask you to switch to nighttime wear only.
If you do not make an effort to retain your teeth following your orthodontic treatment, they will move back to their original position-trust us, they will.
Cleaning and care of your retainers
- NEVER leave your retainers out where pets can get to them, as they will eat them. Put them up on a high dresser/table IN THE CASE.
- NEVER boil or put them in a dishwasher.
- NEVER wrap your retainers in a napkin for any reason!
- DON’T wrap them in a napkin to put them in your pocket or to eat.
- ALWAYSkeep them in the case if they are not in your mouth. (Only eating and brushing)
- ALWAYS remember to take your case with you wherever you go.
- YOU COULD wear your retainers to play all sports, except for swimming.
- NEVER use Efferdent or any type of solvent to clean your retainers!
Brush your retainers gently with a toothbrush and toothpaste.
Lost or Broken retainers Mass Health pays for replacement retainers only during the 2 year retention period following orthodontic treatment. Our office has to submit an authorization first. After the two years a fee will apply.